Monday, April 18, 2011

Sing With Me

I hear birds singing outside my window. I have no idea what they’re singing about, just that something inside them must be compelling them to sing. I can’t imagine a bird with no song. That must be an emptiness beyond expression.

I would think that a bird with no song surely must have a reason he won’t sing: either an accident or illness has taken his ability away. It would be hard to think a bird capable of singing would choose to keep silent.

My heart wants to sing. I can feel the song there. I can sense it moving from my heart up to my vocal chords. It wants out. What am I going to do? Choke it back or let it out?

The captives asked, “How can we sing the Lord’s song in a foreign land?” Simple, just don’t hold it back. The song of the Lord is the joy within us. It’s untouched by circumstances. It is the confidence God is good and doing good in my life. It is the impetus for praise. Joy is the source of worship. If I never release it, I become captive to my surroundings.

I may not like what’s going on around me but I can still find joy. And when I do, I must sing. If I’m waiting for happiness or perfection or resolution I will maintain an emptiness beyond expression. But if I go deeper and find the joy of God within me, I’m suddenly full and overflowing, standing there with something to sing about.

So, shut up bird, it's my turn. I choose to sing today. And I might even get me some happy feet and begin to dance because God is good and is doing good in my life.

No comments:

Post a Comment