Wednesday, October 31, 2012

Where Did That Come From?


I have made it to this point in my life with a strong belief in the sovereignty of God. I have no clue how it works, only that He is in charge. There are times I have been able to trace God’s fingerprints and point everything back to Him and other times He seems to have wiped any evidence clean. There have been times I have felt His breath in gentle, comforting warmth and other times that the wind has blown cold.

In all, however, I have never doubted His presence nor his activity—seen or unseen. To be honest, it’s not clear to me how engaged He is in everything that goes on. I know He is all-present, powerful and knowing, meaning His sovereignty covers it, but I’m not sure how much He directly causes things to happen and how much He just lets happen. I also wonder how much just happens because that kind of stuff just happens.

One friend used to say, “God doesn’t plan everything that happens, but in everything that happens He has a plan.” That has become very important to the Code upon which I base my life. My job is not to examine what He did or did not do, but to see what He wants to do now that what has happened has happened.

If I’m going to get hung up wondering: “Does the fact that even the winds and seas obey Him mean He made the storm or could have stopped the storm?” I don’t need to know. What I do need to know is: a storm has come and I need what God provides.

So, in the meantime, I’m going to rest in the understanding that within this moment lays His intentions. Whatever has happened or will happen brings with it the purposes, plans and provisions of God. That’s more than enough for me.

No comments:

Post a Comment