Monday, June 6, 2011

There's a Pill for That but I Wouldn't Take It if I Were You

Just watched one of those pharmaceutical commercials advertising a drug that’s supposed to be the answer to my problem. Then things went weird. About halfway through, after they had convinced me their product would meet my need they tried to talk me out of it. Sure you’ll be helped by this pill but you’ll probably start growing hair out your ears, your fingernails will fall off, your teeth will itch, your guts will dissolve, your voice will go up three octaves and then you might die.

If the side effects are worse than the condition the medicine is treating, I think I’d rather just keep the condition and tough it out or wait for something else to come along.
Some of those commercials downright stupid. One was advertising something that was for the “problem” of waking up to go to the bathroom at night. Made me wonder what their solution was. Does their pill make me not wake up when I need to go to the bathroom at night? I really think waking up and going is far better than not waking up and going. But I digress.

Why on earth would somebody do that—try to talk you into something then immediately start talking you out of it? It’s not natural. Who wants to know the downside of something helpful? If what they come up with can’t help me without creating greater risks than leaving me alone, they need to go back to work and find something else. Whatever happened to the Hippocratic Oath to do no harm? Shouldn’t that apply to the whole medical field, including pharmaceuticals?
I wonder how a pharmaceutical company would to a commercial for salvation. God loves you and has a wonderful plan for your life. Call out to Him and you will become His child. He will give you eternal life and bring you into His family forever. But some may experience abandonment. Others will slip out of His hands. Many of you will find He has forgotten your name when you cry out to Him. Only for a few will be heard and get their prayers answered. Some will end up rejected when they get to Heaven.

Who on earth would buy into such sloppy inconsistency? Why would someone ever consider giving their life to Someone who just might drop it somewhere along the way?
If your product can’t do what it promises it shouldn’t be offered. If it can, believe in it with all your heart and don’t live like it isn’t true.

No comments:

Post a Comment