Thursday, May 12, 2011

Living Low in a High Tech World

I got my first ever I-pod the other day. Amazing little device. The thing is about the size of a quarter but holds two gigs of info.  Thus far I have downloaded four complete CDs. I’m still in awe every time I turn it on.

Now if you want me to explain how it works forget it. I haven’t a clue. All I know is stuff goes in and stuff comes out. How it does so is, and will remain, a mystery to me. I don’t want someone to explain it to me. I don’t care how it does what it does. All I want is, when I press the button, music plays. It could be magic for all I care.
Okay, in the larger scope of things I’m not a techie. I’m a usey. We useys hang out somewhere at the bottom of the electronic spectrum. Our knowledge is limited to the actual buttons that make things turn on and go off, beyond that we’re lost. I can live with that. Limited understanding is fine as long as what I’m using does what it’s expected to do. That’s the bottom line for me.

When I was little I took my grandmother’s alarm clock apart. I wasn’t interested in how it worked, I just took it apart. After I had it in a million pieces I was done. It was totally destroyed and I had no desire nor ability to put it back together again. My grandmother wasn’t pleased. All the clock was to me was a curiosity, not challenge.
It’s not like I didn’t have opportunity to learn the technical aspect of these new devices. Computers were created when I was still young enough to get in on the ground floor. But I lacked interest. Nothing about them captivated my attention. Other things were more important and fascinating.

The Bible can become like that. How long has it been around? How long have we owned one? How much time have we spent reading, reflecting and dissecting its message? Do I read it with the intention of obeying what it says? In other words, if I stop at only reading, I am a usey. Useys often aren’t interested in seeing how it works in their lives.
I don’t have to become a scholar or a theologian to discover what God has said in His Word, but for that word to have any influence on my life I do need to develop a desire to obey. When wanting to know and do what it says overwhelms me, I will be met with a deep longing for God, His Word and His mission. It’s called inspiration. When the power that inspired it inspires me, I will move to the next level in my walk with the Lord.

No comments:

Post a Comment