Tuesday, May 10, 2011

Light for the Darkness of Soul

Typically darkness creeps in. It only suddenly appears when the lights go out. Most of the time we can prepare for darkness but when it’s already present we never can get away from it. Our souls carry the darkness.

Darkness of soul happens over time. It begins when we give permission for dark thoughts to linger after they should have been taken captive and removed from our minds. They fill whatever space they can, most often hiding in the crevices and shadows, folded beneath layers of flesh that unwillingly refuse to reduce their importance in controlling who we are.

Like roaches, they seek out their hiding place when the light comes on and wait there until the light goes off again.

Like it or not, the battle to captivate us is within our own minds. The attack may come from outside us but the target is a point within that is prone to defeat, a weakness willing to succumb to the lure of temptation. Darkness has an inroad—my unwillingness to expose everything to the Light.
John said, “This is the message we have heard from Him and announce to you, that God is Light, and in Him there is no darkness at all. If we say that we have fellowship with Him and yet walk in the darkness, we lie and do not practice the truth.” (1 John 1:5f)

I have dark spots, but I do not have to allow those dark spots to define me. Darkness of soul indicates I have given in to those spots and am not walking in fellowship with God, that I am choosing darkness over Light, that I am refusing to expose my dark spots to the Light so they can be removed.
Darkness and light cannot abide together. Turn on the light and the darkness is gone. Turn off the light and the darkness is back.

My intention for today is to allow God’s Light to chase away the darkness. I expose to Him every nook and cranny so that His truth can drive the blackness out of my soul. I aim to take my thoughts captive and refuse them control of my mind. I’m going to live by what is true, and that is: “if we walk in the Light as He Himself is in the Light, we have fellowship with one another, and the blood of Jesus His Son cleanses us from all sin.”
I submit my soul to You, Oh Lord. Shine on me, my bright Morning Star, and chase the darkness away.

No comments:

Post a Comment